Archiving an email inis much better than actually deleting an email, because once you fully deleted it, its gone forever.
However, if you archive emails in Gmail, you can easily get them back, but its not completely obvious how.
What Is An Archived Email In Gmail?
Like mentioned above, archived emails are useful, because it’s a bit like a ‘soft’ delete. So when you archive an email, it appears to be deleted, but they can be recovered fairly easily.
Having said that, if you’re not aware of the archiving feature in Gmail (whether you’re new to Gmail or not), and you accidentally archive your email, then it can be quite frustrating to try and get it back.
But don’t panic, your email is archived and still exists.Let me show you how to find them via website and also Gmail mobile App:
How to Recover Archived Email with Gmail website
- Log into your account in the Gmail website.
- Once logged in, you will have to search for the archived message through the search box located at the top of the page. The archived messages can still appear in the search result if you use the proper keywords. The best way to use the search result is to input any of the following information: sender, part of the body of the email, subject, or any other parts of the email.
- You can look through the labels as well. There are messages that were archived but were tagged with a label beforehand. Even if you have accidentally archived the message, this message will still appear under the label by which it was tagged. To find the labels, you can go to the left-side tab on the page and look through the available labels.
- If the label you are looking for is not easily seen in the left-side tab, then you have to click on the MORE option in the menu. Once you click on MORE, you will see the option ALL MAIL. This option, once chosen, will allow you to view all of the messages in the account. It does not matter if the messages are labelled or not. In addition, it does not matter if the messages are archived or not as well. Note: To determine whether a message is archived or not, there should be no label attached to it.
- If you want to move back the message to the Inbox folder, just select the said message. Once the check mark on the tick box appears, go to the MOVE TO icon on the top of the page. This icon looks like a file folder. Click on it and proceed to choose INBOX. You have now successfully retrieved the message into your Inbox folder. Moreover, recover archived email will be sorted according to its original date.
How to Recover Archived Email with mobile Gmail app
- You have to open the Gmail app in your smartphone. When doing that, you have to ensure that you are signed in to your Gmail account so that you can gain access to it through the said app.
- Use the search box to search for the archived message. In the same way with using the Gmail website, you can obtain search results for archived emails as long as you input the sender, part of the message body, subject, or any other parts of the message. Tap the magnifying glass to proceed with the search.
- There are labels appearing in the Gmail app as well. You simply have to look into the labels. Do not forget to tap the MENU button found in the upper-left part of the screen. Scroll down to ALL MAIL.Once the message is found, you can then decide whether or not you want to put it back to your Inbox folder. To put it back to your Inbox folder, tap the MENU button again. Choices will appear. All you have to do is choose the MOVE TO INBOX option. Once selected, the archived message will then be moved back to the Inbox folder.